Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tschüss

Today I had a ticket home that didn't get used. It's sort of strange for me to think about. I've officially moved. Not only that - I had to say goodbye to my parents.

Before, my life revolved around trips home since I had been buying round trip tickets out of the US. There is a subtle sadness to not knowing when I will be back, but I am not going to dwell on that. As of now we've been fortunate enough to make it back a couple times a year for weeks or even a month or more.

There's a definite sense of quiet here that seems really foreign to me and I'm already missing my parents a great deal. I look at the mementos left behind and it feels like they have been gone so long. Sure we have spent months apart, and I know we all experience these feelings when we must part, but it always seems to be harder on the person that is left behind. Little details remind me of the great times we had, while I know they will arrive home late tonight and be greeted by a happy dog and smiling faces. As much as I hate saying it, I'm usually the one leaving. Now I know what the grief feels like.

What's worse is knowing that my parents are wanting to gouge their eyes out by now as they endure their 10 hour flight to Chicago. Having them visit has really been a special time that I will always cherish.


I was thinking of them and our flight here since we flew together. I remembered a great plane window photo I took above New York City.

Thanks for everything Mom + Dad! You are undoubtedly the most selfless and generous people. I ♥ you!

No comments: