Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Gott Nytt År

Happy New Year! Frohes Neues Jahr!

Stefan and I celebrated last night on the streets of Gamla Stan, the old town of Stockholm. It is so crazy to think how much has happened and how much we have done in the past year... and to think it's been 2 years since we were engaged this very day!

People in Stockholm get seriously dressed up - I had to laugh when I saw men wearing tuxedos with dark gym shoes. The women of Stockholm all wear skirts with tights and boots, despite the freezing temperatures. Leave it to those Scandinavian women to be stylish during an arctic freeze.



Stockholm had a nice celebration. While there were still people going a little crazy setting fireworks off right next to spectators, it wasn't like mini-armageddon like last year at the Olympic Stadium, here in Munich. We also enjoyed my favorite beverage of choice - champagne! I know it's probably a strange choice to most people, however I love that it's always drank during celebrations.

Right now we actually have three bottles chilling in our fridge. We would make Reims proud with a bottle each of Veuve Clicquot, Pommery, and Piper Heidsieck. I guess we are always prepared to celebrate.

I decided that I wanted to start a new tradition of writing our predictions for the year and sealing them up to read next year at new years... I know life loves to throw curves, but it would be interesting to see what surprises come our way in 2008. Hopefully many more adventures and travels!

New Years is my favorite holiday. It's such a fun time to reflect, and think about all that we have been through, as well as the surprises that await us, and of course to be thankful. I never would have guessed that we would have gone on so many trips in 2007, or that our first year of marriage would pass so quickly. We celebrated my one year milestone living abroad, Stefan's promotion, and our 2nd Christmas as a married couple. It is also one holiday which Stefan and I have never been apart since we've known each other.

The New Year is always fascinating for me as well, because my birthday is so close (another date Stefan's always been around for). I can't believe I am going to be on the upside of my 20's... and a bit closer to 30. I don't think it's old, but it does signify settling into life a little more and growing up, considering when we'd want to start a family of our own, and simply growing older, wiser, and having our lives pulled together more (at least in theory!).

No comments: