Thursday, January 17, 2008

Boston + Maine

We are gearing up for our upcoming trip to Boston / Southern Maine. I am really looking forward to this, because it's been some time since we have visited the Northeast. We'll be gone for just 4 days, and it is so difficult to decide where I must take Stefan and my sister. Naturally, I have the honor of planning things, because I have plenty of time to burn and I am a tour guide after all.

I know we can't go wrong with the Northeast. It oozes charm and makes me so happy. I love visiting a place that has character that's so distinctive and unique. I've yet to be disappointed there.

Boston will always hold a special place in my heart as well, because It was the first trip for Stefan and I while we were dating. We had a great time exploring the city together. I still remember thinking how crazy it was that I wasn't getting tired of being with him for the 4 days we were away. I think it hit us then, that this wasn't going to be a temporary thing.



Our hotel was right near the Boston Commons and the squirrels were everywhere. We made clicking noises that brought them from the far corners of town and one even jumped on my leg. Stefan was impressed that I spoke 'city squirrel', as he called it.

Since we were flying home on Thanksgiving day, we stopped at Mike's Pastry, the day before. It was hustling the only way those Bostonian Italians seem to make things work. They always seem to be actors who became bakers, with booming voices and fast paced orders. The trouble is there are so many choices... fortunately everything is delicious.

I instantly recommend Mike's to anyone I know going to Boston. Those simple white boxes tied off with blue and white bakers string always have the most divine contents. It's difficult for me to try new things when there are several places that are my tried and true favorites. I feel at home when we visit and won't be surprised if I call it home at some point in my life.



Logan Airport was empty as we flew home on Thanksgiving Day. It was Stefan's first Thanksgiving in the states... the memories just come rushing back. It was such a fun time and definitely has a special place in my heart.

I also went to Boston during the summer that I lived in Maine, but going in the autumn was utterly romantic. It probably helped to walk through the streets holding hands as opposed to being with 3 other young women.

Another Northeastern place I love is Maine, which explains why we're not staying in Boston longer. I'm partial to the coast, although there are some strange areas as well (Old Orchard Beach - or the OOB comes to mind). I think of the accents and it brings a smile to my face. The small sea-side fishing towns, like Camden, and Boothbay are just great. Even Freeport, with loads of outlets and shopping is nice. All of the original buildings remain and even McDonald's has an elegance about it (yes, hard to believe). The names of all of the cities are wonderful too - Kennebeck, Katahdin, Casco, Androscoggin, Penobscot, and Ogunquit ... to name a few.

I love Portland's charm with the tiny galleries and nautical feel. We'll definitely be enjoying some lobster rolls in Old Port. In addition to great food, Stefan will appreciate having a little bit of a winter while we're there. I'm already wishing that we had more time. We don't have major plans, so we'll see where things take us and hope for decent road conditions.

I'd also love to have another Sea Dog Blue Paw Wheat Ale (which can sometimes be found at Trader Joe's). I have an affinity for anything blueberry (another reason to love Maine) and the Sea Dog mascot is a Great Pyrenees, just like Mieka. There are a myriad of reasons why the Northeast is great.

No comments: