Sunday, June 15, 2008

German style cookout

Yesterday we went to a cookout with Stefan's coworkers and it was really a nice time. There are a few differences from German and American cookouts - namely there isn't a 'potluck' aspect. The American side of me still feels that it is necessary to bring something, so I brought brownies and some fresh picked strawberries. There were also insane options in terms of meat - sausages of every variety, steak, and lamb - but no hamburgers, veggie burgers, or hot dogs. The sauces are also not as good - Germans really don't eat anything remotely spicy.

I was so happy that we brought the strawberries because I could not get enough of watching the twins devour them. They both kept reaching up to grab another one - it was so cute.

It was also nice to chat with various coworkers and their 'plus one' partners. We were happy to to see our friend Martina who we will be visiting next weekend in Amsterdam. I'm already looking forward to seeing her again and I know she'll have some great stores and restaurants for us to visit.

I practiced my German quite a bit and came home very worn out, so I guess it was a successful evening. The friends make it worthwhile, but it makes me crave an American style cookout. It's too bad I won't be home for the 4th of July.

No comments: