Sunday, April 26, 2009

Auer Dult

Stefan and I went on a bike ride where he reluctantly joined me to the Auer Dult. After last year I was pretty fortunate, but the carney foods always work in my favor to win him over.

There are so many beautiful details hiding amidst the oddities. I love the covers on these old books. They would look beautiful framed or as a large collection.

I know Stefan was counting his blessings again that we took our bikes and couldn't buy any of the whiteware. I'm always impressed by the large variety and how inexpensive things are. The fish saucier was one of my favorites, but I never really make any sauces, so it would be pointless for me to buy it.

Since this is the largest crockery market, I always look for cookie jars for my Grandma that collects them. There are plenty of 'Rumptöpfe' - which are used for making a fruity liquored punch, however it's really difficult to find a cookie jar. There are so many beautiful designs, but I guess I'll have to commission one of the artists if I want a cookie jar.

As we walked around Stefan slowly gained a bit of excitement once he saw the antique maps, which we both love. I searched through the large box and came up with one of the Alps, where Stefan grew up, and another of Mid-West America, where I'm from. They are both from 1862!

I'd like to frame them to make a collage of important places in our lives. It looks like I'll have to track down Iceland and the Maldives as well.

If you're in the Munich area, the Auer Dult runs until the 3rd of May.

There are also the Jakobi-Dult from 25 July - 2 August, and the Kirchweih-Dult from 17-25 October.

All are located at Mariahilfplatz, which you can get to by taking the U2 Frauenhofer / Klenzestraße, Tram 27, Bus 52 or Bus 152.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE rumptopfe!!!

do you remember the apollo earrings giveaway from leah sakellarides on joanna's blog a few weeks ago?! well leah is giving away another beautiful piece this week on my blog, macaroni club! she is so talented, and so sweet to do this! i'd like to invite you to come visit macaroni club, and if you like this piece of leah's, sign up to win it!
xo... sarah

Life Abroad said...

Your blog is absolutely amazing. I love how you combine your photos into collages and describe your travels in detail! It's always great to see another expat's journey, and I look forward to reading more :)

JoernandAllison said...

The things husbands do to make their wives happy :) It must have been so hard to turn away from such beautiful dishware. Jöern would grumble.
How cool that both maps you found were from the same year! I love the idea of the collage, so different, yet so meaningful!

Emily said...

sarah...
Thanks for the tip! Leah Sakellarides definitely has some beautiful things.

Life Abroad...
Thanks! I am glad that you enjoy it. The ex-pat life is definitely full of new and exciting things.

Allison...
Too bad it won't still be going on when you come to town. I'm sure we can find a few other things to get into to make Jörn grumble!