Sunday, May 4, 2008

Spring details


Stefan and I decided to spend the weekend enjoying the terrific weather. We went on a bike ride and along the way stopped to admire the flowers, grab some ice cream, visit the Auer Dult festival, and of course, no glorious weekend is complete without visiting a beer garden.


My first year in Munich I was excited to visit the Auer Dult after the ladies from the international women's group raved about it. My initial experience was confusing. I expected loads of antiques, wonderful kitchen items, and the illusive German cookie jar for my Grandmother.

Instead I was surprised to see a lot of dental tools, miracle slicers and cleaners that are hawked on TV, cheap jewelry, ladies under garments, and things made from wood. I did find one vendor selling cookie cutters in every imaginable shape, so it wasn't a lost cause.

The German festival foods and children geared activites are also never in short supply at these events, which makes for a good time for families.


This year I knew what I was getting into and had a better time. I also learned this 9 day festival is the largest crockery market in Europe. Stefan was probably very thankful that we had brought our bikes because one of the crockery stands had a magnificent array of white dishes in nearly every shape and size.


After strolling through the mass humanity of the Auer Dult's last day, we headed to the near by Nockherberg Biergarten for a radler (a helles beer mixed with a sprite type soda).

I am very happy that spring is here and that Stefan and I will have the month of May together while he is studying. I will also be studying since I begin my next 100 hours of German tomorrow. I hope I have some characters in my class like the last couple. One of my favorites was Miltiadis, the older Greek man who worked at a paper factory and would bring me random samples. He lived in Munich for 15 years and was just getting around to mastering the language. Everyone has such a fascinating story.

2 comments:

JoernandAllison said...

Are you excited for your next round of German classes? I have heard that the government supported classes are quite different from the entirely paying private ones. I'd love to hear about your experience.
I too adore the wide range of people in my German classes, yet find it sad when there are no other Americans in my class. But, that would be dumb.
Oh, and does Stefan love Abercrombie too? Joern and his friend Marcel spend tons there every Christmas! (Just had to comment)

Emily said...

Believe it or not the class is a mix of government supported and not - it's a better array of people than the last school and they seem more eager to learn. I'm very thankful for that.

Yes... I have to laugh that the Abercrombie rage is in full effect here. It seems so mid-90's to me. I heard they are opening their first store outside of the US here in Munich, on Max straße (our 5th Ave.), nonetheless.