Monday, May 12, 2008

For the love of kitchen gadgets

I really enjoy the challenge of cooking and baking, which can sometimes be a bit more of a struggle living in a country that uses the metric system and that doesn't always have the same ingredients. I like to think it's made me more of a creative cook or at least one that has made me resort to making a lot of food from scratch. Fortunately I have plenty of time for that.

Some of the best things that I have in the kitchen are my Emsa perfect beaker measuring cup and my kitchen scale for converting weights. I loved my scale so much I brought one to my Mom during a visit home. The man at customs looked over my form and promptly said, 'A scale? Is that for like weight watchers or something?'. I didn't expect him to get it, but I love being able to switch from grams to ounces with the touch of a button.


Not only do I love all things practical - I am really a sucker for all of the things that make food appear beautiful... flower waffles, ocean inspired cookie cutters, and sea shell molds are a few examples. Stefan requested a chocolate cake for his birthday and I decided to go out on a limb and use the beautiful sand castle pan for a bunt cake.

The difficult part is that many of my cooking and baking things are still in the US. We've done a good job of not purchasing multiples of things, however I have several cake plates and an assortment of electrical items that are patiently waiting at my parent's house.

I dream of the day that we have a larger kitchen to contain my ever expanding array of dish ware and serving pieces.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

One day...one day I'll have a Kitchenaid Mixer in brushed nickel that can be out on the counter all the time if I want it to. I will have that much space. One day.