Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tower Bridge + Greenwich

After lunch we went to spend the rest of the afternoon with our friends, Katie and Rob, in Greenwich. Stefan decided that we need to make a detour and check out the Tower Bridge as well as the Tower of London.

I was surprised to see how busy the area was, but there were a lot of tourist sights in a small area. I loved the shade of blue on the bridge. It gave it a bit of character.

Seeing this old fortress surrounded by so many modern buildings and a modern skyline was really interesting, but it's great that history has been preserved in the middle of the city.

We got a closer look at the financial area of town while taking the DLR overland rail to Greenwich. Once we arrived we saw the Cutty Sark clipper ship, which is currently being resorted, however the big claim to fame is the Greenwich Royal observatory where they maintain the Greenwich meantime - beginning at 0˚longitude.

I was excited to see the observatory and simply to walk around the area. We made several stops along the way for a leisurely evening at the various pubs. It was really cute and felt more like a village.

Dinner included the quintessential fish and chips. Even after several ciders I quickly recalled why the British aren't really known for their food. At least I tried it again.

Katie was in my sorority in college and joined around the same time that I started dating Stefan. I still remember having him deliver surprises to her on various theme nights and she had no idea who they were from.

It was great to catch up and reminisce about all of the great times we had together, as well as the crazy international lives we're both leading.

Katie and Rob will be getting married this September in Chicago, so we're hoping to make it back for the wedding.

I'm really hoping to see them both again soon - either in London or here in Munich. It really makes me wonder why we haven't met up more often as of yet. London's only about 2 hours from Munich and there are always reasonable flights. It looks like we'll have to change that and see each other more often.

1 comment:

JoernandAllison said...

That is great that you have a friend living so close. When my friend Erica was in Mildenhall, I felt like I was there all the time.
You're right that it is easy to get good flights to London, I hope that you can make it back more often.
Looks like a great weekend for many, many reasons.