Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

When Mother's Day rolls around I always think 'what would my Mom enjoy today?' Last year we went to the biergarten to enjoy the beautiful day in her honor and decided to do the same this year. She does love a good beer from time to time and once again it was a great day to enjoy outside.

We started the day with breakfast on our balcony. I defrosted my very last Naga cookie from Vosges. My mom and I share a love for these and unfortunately they are out of stock on their website, so I wasn't able to send any her way.

Another thing that I am immensely proud of, that always reminds me of my Mom, is my basil plant. I cannot believe I have my very own - and it's growing! Just last weekend I was talking to Stefan's Mom about it and she said, 'these aren't meant to last, you just throw it away when it's done.' My Mom grows the most insane bushels of organic basil.

I'll admit that I don't really have a green thumb, despite the fact my grandparents owned a green house, which is why I usually stick to fresh cut flowers. Stefan even surprised me with a beautiful bouquet for completing my 'Zertifikat Deutsch' (German language test). How sweet is he?

What's funny is virtually any time my mother in law comes to visit, she brings a plant. Stefan received an early birthday gift - a hanging plant for our balcony, yet I was the one given directions on how to care for it and this time - fertilizer. I don't take it as insult, but more of a personal challenge to actually keep it alive. So far, so good.

Our visit to the biergarten this afternoon was wonderful, except we had to celebrate with a sign instead of a real Mom like the neighboring tables. We packed our brotzeit and shared my favorite spätzel at Nockherberg, as the sun shined through the beautiful canopy.

Hope you have as beautiful of a day Mom!

6 comments:

Z said...

Congratulations to Zertifikat Deutsch! Now quickly to B2, C1 and C2 ;)

JoernandAllison said...

Your list is so sweet! You must have a really special mom :)
Two things that make me laugh about your post:
1. I always figured that the plants of basil here were for throwing away too, since I can never get them to last. Congratulations on taking care of yours!
2. Do you know the thing with the plant as a gift? Joern always gives me plants, that I kill. I finally told him to stop giving me plants, because I feel bad when I kill it. He then explained that the plant lasts, so you'll always have a reminder of the gift giver and the reason. (I'm convinced that there is a money issue involved too.) But yeah, they think plants are more meaninful.
But, your flowers are beautiful! Congrats on finishing your ZD! It's official, you are my hero :)

Emily said...

Z...
I'm definitely working on that! The hardest part is finding a school that fits my work schedule.

Allison...
You make me laugh! I'm sure you're closer to the ZD than you think - then you can tell Jörn you need some flowers too!

Aunt Patty said...

OMG, Em you're so sweet...and YES, every word you say is true. She is my oldest sister, and I too know how special she is. You are blessed with a special Mother, and I was bless being her sister, with watching her from when she was a young girl to now...she even helped raise me. It was wonderful to see her yesterday at Grandma's, and she looked AMAZING. I love visiting with her. For her birthday I gave her an Herb pot with Rosemary, Lemon Thyme, Oregano, Italian Parsley. And yes, she rocks the house at PESTO! She grows Basil like she created it herself. Your mom has the perfect touch in whatever she does. I LOVE HER TOO! Happy Mother's Day/Happy Birthday Mary.

Love you Em! Hope to see you soon. I think the rainbow was a special sign from Grandpa to Grandma and your Mom!

Emily said...

I miss my Mom so much! This year will be the longest I have ever gone without seeing her so it'll be tough :( I love your blog by the way! Such beautiful pictures! I only hope that once my husband I are done with school that we can travel more in Europe.

Emily said...

Patty...
So good to talk to you - even if it wasn't very long. I'll definitely be happy to have some family time soon. Not sure on when we'll be back yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Emily Marie...
What a bummer! Hopefully you'll get to see her sometime soon. Even if you're a student I don't think there's a better city you could be in - Paris takes a life time to explore! I'm definitely envious. It looks like you guys really make the most of living there.