Saturday, May 23, 2009

Brandhorst

Munich has done it again. For being such a glorified village of a city we really have some incredible cultural opportunities here. Now there's another option on the block - Museum Brandhorst.

While it was under construction I always called it the 'colored pencil museum', because the exterior is an interesting array of colored ceramic pieces. There's no doubt that it's a place of creativity. Inside the collection you can see pieces ranging from some of my favorites including Basquiat, Andy Warhol, and Damien Hirst.


There is evidently a lot of excitement, because you had to sign up for a time slot for free admission through Sunday and it's fully booked. Within a few hours time the online time slots were triple the capacity. I prefer to visit museums without being herded through, so my tip is to check it out for the normal 7€ or on a Sunday for only 1€.

If you're not in the Munich area, you can check out some of the pieces here and read more about the museum here.

2 comments:

Cait said...

I went past on Thursday and the queues were around the block, they weren't much better today either.
I guess I'll be waiting until there are few less people crowding to get in.

Emily said...

Cait...
I think the hype will die down soon, although these Müncheners surprise me from time to time. I guess there are worse things to get excited about than art.