Monday, May 4, 2009

Löwenzahn

We went to visit my in-laws this weekend. It's nice to get out of the city from time to time, especially when we can go visit them close to the Alps.

Once we reached the Allgäu I noticed the fields and rolling hills were virtually all a vibrant yellow. I asked Stefan what the crop was as we sped down the Autobahn at 135mph (215 km/h), and he responded they were Löwenzahn (Dandelions). Never in my life have I seen dandelions look so beautiful.

They reminded me of the rabbit I had growing up and how he loved to eat dandelions. His little nose would become lightly tinted yellow from the pollen. Unfortunately I didn't see any bunnies frolicking about, but that could be due to the fact these flowers were so tall.

Thankfully the cows were out enjoying the weather. The light brown ones are my favorite and they are always plentiful in the Allgäu - aren't they adorable?

5 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Your blog is so awesome it has been awarded the "One Lovely Blog Award" by yours truly! (Don't you feel extra special now?) Anyway, to accept your award visit my blog post:

http://transatlanticblonde.blogspot.com/2009/05/someone-likes-me.html

Congrats! Keep up the great work!

Emily said...

Thanks so much!

I will try to be a more diligent blogger.

JoernandAllison said...

It is incredible that a weed can be so pretty sometimes! Whenever I see beautiful fields here filled with dandelions, I think of home, where everyone has perfectly manicured lawns without a weed (dandelions in sight) included. I'm not sure when we became such dandelion haters, but they really add a colorful pop to lush green fields. Plus, I'm pretty sure they're a treat to most animals :)

Life Abroad said...

Beautiful photos! Those cows are so cute too :)

Emily said...

allison...
hopefully you guys will get to see some of the fields on your drive down next weekend.

life abroad...
thanks so much! The cows here definitely are very sweet.