Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Less than a week!

We went around town today collecting our last minute things. Here are a few of my observations:

I love MUJI (inside Fünf Höfe). It's a Japanese shop that prides itself on being no brand. All of the merchandise is simple and they have a wonderful array of everything you never realized you needed to stay organized. Their travel sized products and stationery items are among my favorites. They make packing so simple with their empty TSA sized 100mL bottles.

Everyone and everything is gearing up for Oktoberfest. I love seeing products suddenly having Bavarian spirit and lederhosen all over them. Even the Pixar movie 'Oben! (Up!)' is in on the fun with their ad featuring the herzen, roller coaster, and the sky swing. (It says: 'With so much fun you'll lift off') We're slightly behind on the times here - it opens tomorrow.

I noticed Ihr Platz located inside the Ostbahnhof (near the U5 Orleanplatz entrance). Under normal circumstances I really wouldn't write about a drug store, and I realize this sounds ridiculous, but it is open until 10PM - even on Sundays. Talk about revolutionizing shopping in Munich! Really, it's the little things here.

They even have a small grocery section where you can get milk and simple things past 8PM! I'm thrilled - even though I'll only be here for one more weekend this year.

12 comments:

Aisling said...

Wow, one week to go. I can only imagine how exciting (and nerve-wrecking) that must be. Lots of safe travel and great experience vibes!

C said...

Emily, I am so, so excited for you and your upcoming trip! You have beautifully planned it and are sure to take advantage of every minute.
Seth took an 11-month trip around the world just before we met. He said a year never felt so long and short: long because each day was different and packed full of activity, short because it was fun!

CraftyRachel said...

Oh, the above "C" would be me, CraftyRachel, who is using a new keyboard and is return-key-happy.

HaveShoesWillTravel said...

I am beyond jealous of your trip.

Abby said...

I can't believe you only have a week left! Eeeek! So exciting!

I love Muji too!

Loddelina said...

ha-ha, have fun at the Oktoberfest!

I've missed the only chance of seing the movie Up in original version - watching it in German (or any other dubbed over version for that matter) somehow kills all the fun...
Oh, well, I will have to wait till the DVD comes out.

Cait said...

OK, I am totally jealous, you're going to Oktoberfest! Lots of photos please, including you in both your dirndls :)

And it sounds like by the time you get back, opening hours for lots of shops will finally be civilised.

Emily said...

Aisling...
You're definitely right - it's going to be nice to finally be on the road so we don't have things to continually worry about... at least in terms of packing and preparing.

Rachel...
You and Seth are such a fun couple. I'm sure we will be feeling similarly once we're constantly on the move. We'll be visiting several places that you visited, because your photos were so beautiful.

HaveShoesWillTravel...
You should see what opportunities your company gives for time off and save save save.

Abby...
I'm still trying to remind myself - less than one week! It's really crazy.

Loddelina...
Thanks! I'm glad that we'll at least get to squeeze one visit in. Did it already come out in Augsburg? Maybe you need a day trip to Munich with a stop at Mathäser... I know they have the original version.

Cait...
I will certainly have a maß or two for you. I'm not sure if I will get to wear both of my dirndls, but we'll definitely go at least once.

As for the shops I'm not holding my breath, but I will definitely count my blessings to have at least one shop that's not at the airport open even a bit longer.

Z said...

So little time. Next week I will be on my way too, though to a very different country. It'll be just a 7 days trip. Still haven't packed anything yet. Will surely read all your detailed what-to-pack lists again. Thanks a lot for posting them! They contain things that aren't (probably) sold here though they are pretty important, weird.

Anyways I wish you safe travels, pleasant experiences and lots of fun. Looking forward to some nice photos (um, any shelled reptiles on your trip?) and stories :)

Emily said...

Z...
Have a safe trip! I'm glad that I could help - I know how easy it is to forget things... and even to shop for things. My parents sent a lot of things I couldn't get here that I wanted - like antibacterial hand wipes.

I'll definitely take a lot of photos along the way and I'm crossing my fingers for a sea turtle sighting.

JoernandAllison said...

Wow, you've been a busy poster! It must be exciting and strange to be posting on everyday items knowing that very soon, you will be off seeing so many new things!
I love MUJI, sadly, none here in Stuttgart. Add it to the list of reasons to return to Munich!

JoernandAllison said...

Oh, and you've got to love the train stations and airports here for having stores that are open late, and on Sundays! We've frequently found ourselves running to the airport grocery store on a Sunday! One of those tiny luxuries you don't get far outside of a city!