Monday, October 25, 2010

Mallorca

We just got back from an extra dose of Summer weather, which was greatly appreciated.

Last time I went to Mallorca it was a bit of a girl's getaway trip. This visit was nice, because I could share some of the places I discovered with my favorite travel partner - Stefan. It was his first visit to the island.

We went without any major plans other than enjoying fantastic weather, eating delicious foods, and seeing beautiful architecture. None of which are difficult to find in Mallorca.

[This is a great pdf. for restaurants and island activities.]

They also have beautiful trees speckled around the city. The olive trees are especially impressive with their winding trunks. I love nature.

Here are a few more things that we enjoyed:

La Seu - the beautiful cathedral, which was built on the ruins of a destroyed Arab Mosque.

The horses outside the cathedral with their beautiful red carriages

Watching the lizards, although they kind of made my skin crawl

The residential courtyards

Gaudí's works and buildings inspired by him
This is a fantastic visual book of his projects

Street art

Quiet streets + plazas

Bright colors juxtaposed on earthy toned buildings

The beach + sand on our toes

Taking the vintage train through the orange and lemon trees to Sóller

Riding the tram to Puerto de Sóller

Pintxos + Tapas at El Pirata... the Cava Sangria was great, too.

Watching a little boy fish in Puerto de Sóller

The blue and green sea toned shutters on homes in Sóller

The winding streets + intricate church in Sóller

Shopping...
I found the exact earrings I saw 2 years ago, but didn't purchase. This time I bought them. We also brought back some limited edition red beet + paprika salt from Flor de Sal d'Es Trenc. The 'paper bag' hand bags were incredibly gorgeous and simple, but a bit expensive.

It's been quite some time since we've been traveling, although that is once again going to be changing. We have quite a few fun things planned in the coming months.

4 comments:

Lane said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those earrings, and the lizard! ;)

JoernandAllison said...

Ha! I knew you two were somewhere. And one of our favorites. Mallorca is so fabulous, so very much more than a German party place. Looks like you had a great time! How was the train ride to Soller? It always seems like such a cool thing to do in Mallorca.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!
I just came back from Barcelona myself. The weather was fantastic, unlike the cold here in Munich ;-(
I have never been to Mallorca and have seen some good deals on last-minute tour packages. Did you book the flight and hotel separately or you try a package deal? I am thinking of going there next month if the weather there is not so bad.

Oom

Emily said...

Thanks, Lane! I was glad to get them.

We didn't even see the German party area... but there were certainly loads of Germans enjoying the island.

Oom...
You can get some really inexpensive flights and it's simple to get to the city center if you go to Palma. We booked our hotel separately. If you book a package just read up on the hotel so you can avoid the party atmosphere, unless that's what you want.

I'd definitely recommend it. If you liked Barcelona I think you'd enjoy Mallorca as well.