Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jeni's

A long while back I read a list of the 10 best ice cream shops in the US. I've since visited 2 of them... Ici (in Berkeley, CA) and Jeni's (here in Columbus, Ohio). They are both incredible.

I have to be honest- I'm kind of envious of both places. How cool would it be to have an ice cream shop? Sometimes I jot down lists of potential flavors that would be a lot of fun to make.

Ici is owned by the former pastry chef of Alice Water's Chez Panisse and Jeni's is in the charming Short North area of Columbus, which has great murals featuring Grand Wood's American Gothic and the ubiquitous Mona Lisa. I bet you didn't realize Ohio is so cool!

Whenever I'm home I love to make a stop at Jeni's for her unique flavors and adorable shops. There is a lot of seasonal variety and many locally sourced products, too. Last night I went for a short visit with my friends Cat + Beth.

I ordered the 'study', which is 4 small scoops. My chosen flavors were: Pistachio + Honey, Wildberry Lavender, Goat Cheese with Cherries, and Meyer Lemon Blueberry. Believe me, it's not easy to decide.

My parents are savvy to my love of ice cream, so they surprised me with a Zoku ice pop maker. I'm looking forward to testing it out once we get back to Germany.

2 comments:

JoernandAllison said...

Oh wow, you got an ice pop maker! I was really intrigued when I saw them on the Williams-Sonoma site. They look like so much fun! I'm looking forward to visiting you and having ice pops :)
Wouldn't an ice cream shop be fun? You'd be an awesome ice cream shop propreitor. I adore ice cream here, but they lack the homey-ness of the little ice cream shops in the States. I could totally see something with a more casual/ fun atmosphere with cool flavors, like Goat Cheese and Cherries. You would have a unique business here!
Glad to see you're enjoying a lovely Ohioan summer :)

Anna said...

I always knew Ohio was that cool :)
love Jeni's ice cream!