Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Home in Rome

I'm really picky at finding the perfect hotel. We wanted a central and modern location and even considered staying in a convent. There is so much to see in this ancient city and I know we'll be seriously worn out at the end of the day.

Many of the modern and simple hotels weren't in the city center and then I found the perfection solution - an apartment. I was impressed with many of the choices, although most were already booked. I even saw one with a stairway designed by Michelangelo himself! I'm impressed to say the least.

Here is the apartment we chose:

While we probably won't be utilizing all of the space and I'm not sure how much we will cook, I like having the option. Our apartment is very close to the Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain, which is perfect for my first visit. I've also heard great things about the trendy Trastevere neighborhood, but this time we'll be closer to the sites.

Right now I'm fine tuning our list of things to do:

  • Getting tickets to the Vatican Museum online so we don't have to stand in lines
  • Reading up in my Zagat book about recommended restaurants and hoping to find Rome's most delicious pizza (and pastries!)
  • Searching for the offbeat and beautiful little hidden shops
  • Learning about what markets are available while we're visiting
...and of course I'm open to any suggestions! I know sometimes the best way to really get to know a city is simply to wander around and get lost.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to hearing about your trip, and seeing more of your beautiful photos. We haven't made it to Rome yet, but it figures in one of the novels I'm writing about in my dissertation. It's really a place of legend!

Nan said...

Don't forget the gelato!

JoernandAllison said...

I'm so excited for you two! Rome is another city high on my to-do list. This seems to be a trend that you check out the city first, then I have a good hotel rec. from you :)
You must be so excited!

Emily said...

Rachel...
I'm sure it will be even more fascinating after all you've read about it. I always felt a little guilty being an art history major and never having visited. We're definitely excited!

Nan...
I'll definitely have some gelato too!

Allison...
I'm glad that I can help! It will be nice to hear about your trips and what your impressions are. So Prague is next?