Sunday, February 1, 2009

Healthy Cooking

Yesterday I made my favorite sea salt oatmeal coconut chocolate cookies using coconut flour, which is gluten free and high in fiber. The cookies look slightly different than they have when I made them before, but they were equally delicious and healthier than ever.

We are eating fresh fruits and vegetables at every meal, but somehow it doesn't seem to be enough. I'm really trying to learn more about unconventional ingredients that work against peaking blood sugar and are more fiber rich. In addition to the Organic Coconut Flour, I also got some Organic Blue Agave sweetener.

I haven't used the sweetener as of yet, although it can be used in any recipe that calls for sugar. The only struggle is figuring out how much to use since it's slightly sweeter than sugar and comes as a liquid.

Next I may try baked goods with vegetables cooked in.

5 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Don't deprive us the recipe! I often get yelled at for salting crumbles and cookies as I LOVE sweet and savory together.

JoernandAllison said...

Wow, those cookies look wonderful! I'd love the recipe if you could pass it along.
I bought a bottle of Agave syrup a few months ago, Joern discovered that he loved it in tea, and it was gone in a few weeks!
Good luck using it in recipes, I'm sure it is great.

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious!

p.s. this months words are, This months words are creepy, iconic _________ ( insert your current country), hope, dreary and exposed.

x

Emily said...

Melania...
I can't believe people don't think you're a genius for combining salty & sweet - I'm all for it.

Here's the recipe - it's pretty forgiving and I don't totally measure all of the ingredients, so here's a guesstimate:

1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
(Beat together on high)

2 Lg eggs
(Beat eggs until just mixed)

1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
(Beat in)

1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
(Mix flour on low until blended)

2 1/2 c oats
1 c shredded coconut
1/4 c coconut milk
10 oz. chocolate chips
(Stir remaining ingredients)

fleur de sel

Arrange about 3" apart
Generously sprinkle with fleur de sel

Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven switching halfway through for 10 minutes or until golden.

Melaina25 said...

I just made a lime glazed cake today, but I will lookout for coconut flour at the grocery :)