Saturday, September 8, 2007

Lingo and working

Today was my last day of work and I was sad to go… I think about my new colorful vocab that my Northern Ireland co-worker has taught me using irish jargon. Here are some of my favorites:

Git – idiot
Mangen – smelly
‘your man’ – reference to anyone
slapper – a trashy woman

There is nothing like standing at the train station and talking with tourists. They are always ready for an adventure and some excitement. Plus they are just happy to be on vacation. I honestly couldn't ask for a better job... and it's a great feeling to know that I don't really have to be working. In a way it is like teaching, however I have to corral around adults and occassionally an elderly person or child and listen to their stories while offering up some excitement for their vacation.

It's funny how the people that I encounter are always 35 or in their 50s... I don't know where the young people are in Munich. Sometimes I feel a bit like an outsider because I am young, have graduated from university (I am even starting to talk like them), and I'm married. I can't complain too much though. After all, I do live in a beautiful city with one of the highest qualities of life in the world, with an amazing man that I adore, and couldn't ask for someone more fun to share life with. Working does give me a sense of purpose and help me feel like I am contributing to the world in some way.

No comments: